Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Absentee Voting Information

Absentee Voting Information for U.S. Citizens Abroad

Absentee Voting Week is September 26-October 3, 2016

Be an Active Voter by taking the necessary steps to vote in the 2016 U.S. elections and participating in Absentee Voting Week! 

In many states, the voter registration deadline for the November 2016 elections is October 10.  For some voters this might mean their paper voter registration and absentee ballot request must reach their local election officials by October 10.  In order to vote in the November 2016 elections, all overseas U.S. citizens need to have completed a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) in 2016.  Whether you are a first-time voter or have already received ballots and voted absentee in past elections, you must complete an FPCA each year to ensure you are able to participate in elections as an overseas absentee voter.  

If you have already completed a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) in 2016 and requested electronic delivery of your ballot, you will be receiving your blank ballot or instructions for how to access your ballot soon if you have not already received it.  If you are not sure about the status of your absentee ballot request you should contact your local election officials in the United States or check the status of your registration via your state’s voter registration verification website. 

You can get voting assistance from the embassy or drop off your completed voting forms and ballots, addressed to your local election officials, during the following hours: Monday through Friday, 9 – 12 noon, and 2 – 5pm. 

Please drop off your election materials at the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy located on Kentmanni 20 in Tallinn. Please note that normal transit time from Tallinn to New York is approximately 7 days. 



Please help spread the word to your friends, family, and colleagues that now is the time to start thinking about overseas voting.  Consider posting to your Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or other social media account that you are an active voter and will be dropping off or mailing your Federal Post Card Application or completed ballot.  Use #ProudOverseasVoter to help get the word out about voting. 

If you have never voted while overseas before, it’s not too late. The process is easy ­-- just follow these steps: 

  1. 1.     Complete a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) 

Whether you are a first-time voter or have voted absentee in past elections, complete an FPCA to receive your ballot this fall.  It allows you to register to vote and request absentee ballots for all elections for federal offices (presidential and state primaries, run-off, special, and the November general elections) during the course of the year in which you submit the FPCA.  Local election officials in all U.S. states and territories accept the FPCA

The online voting assistant available at is an easy way to complete the FPCA.  It will ask you questions specific to your state and tell you if electronic ballot delivery is possible.  No matter which state you vote in, we encourage you to ask your local election officials to deliver your blank ballots to you electronically (by email, internet download, or fax, depending on your state).  Be sure to include your email address to take advantage of electronic delivery.  The online voting assistant will generate a printable FPCA, which you can then print and sign. 

  1. Submit the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) 

Again, you are welcome to drop off your completed FPCA, addressed to your local election official, at the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Tallinn. 

If it’s more convenient for you, you can have a friend or family member drop off your FPCA at the embassy, on your behalf, or you can send your FPCA

or ballot directly to your local election officials via international mail or professional courier service at your own expense.  

  1. 3.     Receive Your Ballot 

After submitting your FPCA, most states allow you to confirm online your registration and ballot delivery selection.  States are now required to send out ballots 45 days before an election (on or around September 24) for federal office (President, U.S. Senate, or U.S. House of Representatives) to any overseas U.S. citizen who has completed an FPCA.  

  1. 4.     Return Your Ballot 

As with the FPCA, you can return your voted ballot to your local election officials free of charge via the nearest embassy or consulate or mail it directly at your own expense. 

Your Vote Counts

Many U.S. elections within the past ten years have been decided by a margin of victory of less than 0.1%.  All states are required to count every absentee ballot as long as it is valid and reaches local election officials by the absentee ballot receipt deadline (differs by state). 

Be an educated voter.  Check out the FVAP links page for helpful resources that will aid your research of candidates and issues.   You can also read national and hometown newspapers online, and search the Internet to locate articles and information. 

To receive information by email about election dates and deadlines, subscribe to FVAP's Voting Alerts (  FVAP also shares Voting Alerts via Facebook and Twitter

If you have any questions about registering to vote overseas, please contact Tallinn’s Voting Assistance Officer at +372 668 8128, or at



Now all U.S. citizens can receive their blank ballots electronically. Depending on the state in which you are eligible to vote, you may get your ballot by email, fax, or internet download. To start, go to to complete a new Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), print and sign the form then return it to your local election office in the United States. We recommend overseas U.S. citizens get in the habit of completing FPCAs each January. You should include your email address on the form so it's easier for your election officials to reach you if there is a problem. If your state delivers ballots electronically by fax only, be sure to include your fax number. If you request electronic delivery and include your email address or fax number, you’ll receive your blank ballot 45 days before general and mid-term elections and generally 30 days before special, primary, and run-off elections for federal offices. Most states now have voter registration verification websites, and many offer a means of tracking the status of your registration and ballot.

IMPORTANT NOTE: States are no longer required to automatically send ballots to voters for an entire election cycle so everyone who wants to vote in U.S. elections from overseas should send in a new Federal Post Card Application in January of each year. 

See below for additional information on:


  • Absentee Voting Basics
  • Registration/Absentee Ballot Request 
  • Receiving your Blank Absentee Ballot 
  • Voting and Returning Your Ballot
  • Federal Write-In Ballot - FWAB
  • Voting Eligibility
  • Role of Local Election Officials
  • Verifying Your Registration
  • Be an Educated Voter
  • Voting and Taxes


    Absentee voting is a simple 2 step process.

    1. Every year, you send in a completed Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) to your local election officials.

    • They confirm your eligibility to vote, and put your name on a list to receive absentee ballots for any elections held that calendar year.
    • They send you a blank absentee ballot electronically or by mail.

    2. 2(a). You complete the ballot and send it back so it arrives before your state's ballot return deadline.

    2(b). Or, if you haven't received your blank ballot 30 days before an election, don't wait any longer; use the emergency Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot to vote. 

    To vote from abroad, you have to register to vote with local election officials in your state of legal (voting) residence, AND every year you have to request to receive absentee ballots. You can use one form to do both - the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). Submit a new FPCA in January of each year, every time you move, change your address, change your email, or change your name.

    To complete and address the form, go to either the Federal Voting Assistance Program or the Overseas Vote Foundation website, where an on-line assistant walks you through the process. You can also pick up an FPCA and a copy of your state’s requirements from U.S. embassies and consulates around the world, or from many overseas U.S. citizen civic or political groups.

    You can always return your FPCA by mail. In addition, most states allow you to send in your FPCA by fax or email. (See Voting and Returning Your Ballot section below). Consult the online FVAP Voting Assistance Guide for your state’s current instructions. If you need help completing or submitting the form, contact the voting assistance officer at the closest U.S. embassy or consulate.

    Forty-five days before the November general elections, your state will either send your blank ballot to you electronically, or mail it to the address you provided on your FPCA.

    Ballots are generally mailed out only 30 days before primary, special and run-off elections. Depending on your state and your status abroad, you may receive absentee ballots for all elections or abbreviated ballots for elections for federal offices only.

    Complete your ballot carefully and legibly, and return it to your local election officials before your state’s ballot receipt deadline. Send it back as early as possible.

    Overseas voters have a number of options for returning voted ballots:

    • Local mail – If you have good mail service to the United States, put your ballot in the mail with appropriate international postage.
    • U.S. Embassy Pouch/APO/FPO – You can drop off your ballot request or voted ballot at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for return to the United States, or you can have someone drop it off for you. It must be addressed to your local election officials and have sufficient postage or be in a postage-paid envelope. A postage-paid envelope is available on the FVAP web site.  Contact the voting assistance officer or visit the Embassy website for specific instructions.
    • Fax, Email, or Internet - A number of states now allow the electronic return of voted ballots. Consult the FVAP Voting Assistance Guide for electronic transmission options for your state.
    • Express Courier Service - If time is short or local mail is unreliable, you can use professional courier services such as FedEx, DHL, or UPS. NOTE: FedEx does not deliver to P.O. boxes.

    If you make a timely application for an absentee ballot for a general federal election but do not receive the ballot from your state in time, you may use the Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (FWAB). This emergency Write-in Ballot is available on-line. You must register to vote using the FPCA and request an absentee ballot by your state's deadline - usually 30 days before the election - to be eligible to use the FWAB. Please note that the FWAB is only valid for use in federal, not state or local, office.

    Almost all U.S. citizens 18 years or older who reside outside the United States are eligible to vote absentee for candidates for federal offices in U.S. primary and general elections. In addition, some states allow overseas citizens to vote for candidates for state and local offices, as well as for state and local referendums. For information regarding your specific state, visit the FVAP Voting Assistance Guide or the Overseas Vote Foundation website. The Overseas Vote Foundation is a non-partisan voter advocacy organization.

    For voting purposes, your state of legal residenceis generally the state wherein you resided immediately before leaving the United States, even if you no longer own or rent property or intend to return there in the future. 29 states and the District of Columbia specifically address this issue, and allow U.S. citizens of voting age who have never resided in the U.S. to use their parents’ residence as their residence for voter registration and voting purposes – even if the residence no longer exists as a valid address.  The other states don’t specifically mention this option, but local election officials in those states may weigh a number of factors in deciding whether to accept a registration.  Direct your questions about eligibility to your local election officials.

    All elections in the United States are run at the state and local level. If local election officials have questions about your form, they’ll contact you. It’s smart to send in your form early (ideally, at the beginning of the calendar year, or at least forty-five days before the election) to provide time to process your request and resolve any problems. Once approved, your name will be put on a list of voters to receive absentee ballots.

    You can check to see if you are registered to vote by going to the FVAP links page.  Once on that page scroll down to "State Voter Registration Verification Website."   Here you will choose the State you vote in, then be redirected to that State's registration verification page. You can always contact your local election official or FVAP directly if you have any additional questions or concerns.

    Check out the FVAP links page for helpful resources that will aid your research of candidates and issues you care about.  

    Voting for candidates for federal offices does not affect your federal or state tax liability. Voting for candidates for state or local offices could affect your state tax liability. Consult legal counsel if you have questions.

    If you have any questions about registering to vote overseas, please contact Embassy Tallinn Voting Assistance Officer at +372 668-8128, or

    Updated March 2014



    Contact Information

    • Contact Information Consular Section
      U.S. Embassy
      Kentmanni 20
      15099 Tallinn
      Phone: 372-668-8128
      Visa information: 372-88-06-000
      Fax: 372-668-8267

    Adobe Reader

    • Download Free (PDF)
      Download Free (PDF)

      All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.