Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Immigrant Visas

Obtaining an Immigrant Visa 

There are a number of ways in which a person can apply for an immigrant visa in order to become a permanent resident of the United States (i.e., obtain a “green card”).  The primary categories processed at the U.S. Embassy in Tallinn are:

  1. Family-sponsored immigrant visas (e.g., spouses, fiancées, children, parents and siblings of American citizens, as well as certain close relatives of Legal Permanent Residents), including adoption. These categories are divided into “immediate relatives” (spouse, fiancé, parent or unmarried child of a U.S. citizen) and numerically limited “family preference” categories (certain other relatives of U.S. citizens and U.S. Legal Permanent Residents).  For more information on these categories, including applicable wait times, please refer to the U.S. Department of State's main travel website.
  2. Employment-based immigrant visas; and
  3. Diversity visas (also known as the “green card lottery”).

Please read our information on how to apply for an immigrant visa at the U.S. Embassy in Tallinn.

Lost & Stolen Green Cards

Permanent resident cards (commonly known as form I-551 “green cards”) can only be issued or replaced by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in the United States. The Embassy is unable to issue a replacement card. If you left your permanent resident card in the United States, you should ask a friend or relative there to send you the card by express mail. 

If you have lost your permanent resident card, the Embassy may be able to issue you a Boarding Foil which would allow you to return to the United States. In order to issue a Boarding Foil, the Embassy must interview you and obtain confirmation of your resident alien status from the Department of Homeland Security. This process may take anywhere from one to several days, but usually does not take more than five workdays. Once confirmation is received you will be scheduled for an appointment. 

For assistance with a lost green card, please send an e-mail to briefly explaining your situation and giving the date of your last departure from the United States. Please make sure to provide your alien registration number, complete name, date and place of birth, and your contact information.  We also request that you attach a scanned copy of a completed I-90 form and the biographic date/photo page of your valid passport. 

Please use following link to download form I-90 (Application to Replace Permanent Residence Card) and make sure to bring the form to your scheduled interview along with your valid passport, a recent  passport photo in color, documentary proof of when you last departed the U.S.

You should not leave the United States again until you have applied for and received your new card. You can apply for your replacement card electronically now through the USCIS website.

Please note: Boarding Foil may only be issued to Permanent Resident Ailens who are returning to the United States after an absence of less than one year.

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free (PDF)
    Download Free (PDF)

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.