Renewing a 5-year U.S. Passport (child)
Passport applicants are strongly encouraged to make an appointment with the Consular Section. This page provides information only for American citizens renewing a 5-year passport.
The applicant should complete Form DS-11, which can be downloaded, or which can be completed on-site at the U.S. Embassy’s Consular Section. The fee for applicants under 16 is $105 for a 5-year passport. The fee for those 16 and over getting their first 10-year adult passport is $135. These fees will be payable at the time you visit the Consular Section, which can be paid in cash U.S. dollars, the cash equivalent in Euro, or with certain credit cards.
The applicant should present the following items:
- Completed Form DS-11. Please do not sign this form until instructed to do so by the Consul.
- One passport photo (no more than 6 months old), 2 inches (5 cm) square with a white background.
- Most recent U.S. passport.
- If the applicant’s appearance has changed since the last passport was issued, some other form of photo ID, such as a recently-issued school ID or Estonian passport. If no such photo ID is available, please bring a series of family photographs (e.g., for a 6-year old applicant who last passport was issued at age 1, please bring a series of family photos taken at ages 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5).
If the applicant is under age 16, the following items must also be presented in addition to those listed above:
- Copy of the child’s birth certificate listing the names of the parents.
- Photo ID (e.g., passport, driver’s license, Estonian ID card) for both parents.
- If one parent cannot be present, signed & notarized Form DS-3053 accompanied by photocopy of absent parent’s photo ID with signature. If one parent has sole legal custody, or the absent parent is not available due to death, disappearance, etc., please contact the Consular Section to address the matter with the Consul.
Applicants under age 16 receive a 5-year passport. Applicants age 16 or older receive a 10-year passport. Once the application is complete and approved by the Consul, the passport will be ready for pick-up in approximately 7 – 10 days.
More information on U.S. passports is available on the main travel website of the U.S. Department of State.