Public Affairs Section
About Public Affairs Section
The Public Affairs Section explains the United States - its culture and its policies - to the Estonian public. It does this via educational and exchanges and information outreach activities. It is the main point of contact for educational, cultural, and media issues.
The Public Affairs Section:
- Issues press releases to inform media organizations and the general public about official visits, Embassy-organized events and projects, consular matters of interest to Estonians, U.S.-Estonian military cooperation, etc.;
- Maintains this website
- Organizing press conferences or smaller meetings with Estonian media during visits of U.S. Government officials or U.S. Government -sponsored visitors
- Provides public affairs/media relations guidance within the Embassy and informs Washington of Estonian media reaction to U.S. policies and actions.
- Runs the Fulbright graduate student and scholar exchange program and the secondary or primary level Teacher Exchange Program;
- Administers the Humphrey Fellowship exchange program for mid-level professionals;
- Fosters the field of American studies in Estonian universities and institutes of higher education;
- Supports educational advising centers (in Tallinn and Tartu) which provide prospective students with information and guidance on U.S. higher education.
- Promotes U.S. – Estonia cooperation through a highly competitive Small Grants Program for visits to Estonia of American experts, specialists and performers. This grant program provides support to academic, artistic and other activities of mutual interests of the requesting organization and the Embassy. For further inquiries please contact USASaatkond@state.gov;
- Selects Estonians for the International Visitor Leadership Program, a program designed to bring participants to the U.S. to meet and confer with professional counterparts and to experience firsthand the U.S. and its institutions;
- Supports the American Corners located in Narva, Viljandi and Kuressaare public libraries and American Space at Tallinn Tech.
- The Public Affairs Section carries out its overseas duties in coordination with the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of International Information Programs (IIP) and the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA).
- Information Resource Center (IRC)
Public Affairs Section
15099 Tallinn, Estonia