Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Messages for U.S. Citizens

Below are important messages from the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Embassy in Tallinn to U.S. citizens living in Estonia or visiting this country concerning important events or issues. 

If you are a US citizen and wish to receive these periodic messages directly, subscribe to our mailing list by registering with the U.S. Embassy.

                                          *              *              *


As tax season approaches, we are providing some information to ensure that U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Resident Aliens living abroad are aware of the requirements related to filing U.S. income tax returns.  The IRS also has full-time permanent staff in three U.S. embassies and consulates in Europe (Frankfurt, London, and Paris) who can help.  These offices have tax forms and publications, can help you with account problems, and answer your questions about notices and bills.  You can find information about reaching these offices below.  We hope you find this information helpful! 

Who Must File? 

All U.S. citizens and resident aliens must file a U.S. individual income tax return, even if they permanently live outside the United States and may not owe any tax because of income exclusion or tax credit. 

When is the 2014 Federal Tax Return Due? 

Due date for Form 1040:  April 15, 2015 


-  An automatic extension to June 15, 2015, is granted for taxpayers living outside the United States and Puerto Rico.  No form is required; write "Taxpayer Resident Abroad" at the top of your tax return.

Caution:  This extension applies only for filing your tax return, not for payment.  If you owe any taxes, you're required to pay by April 15, 2015.  Interest and penalties will generally be applied if payment is made after this date.

- To request an additional extension to October 15, 2015, use Form 4868.

Caution:  This extension applies only for filing your tax return, not for payment.  If you owe any taxes, you're required to pay by April 15, 2015.  Interest and penalties will generally be applied if payment make after this date.

Other extensions may be available on 

Can I Mail My Return and Payment?

You can mail your tax return and payment using the postal service or approved private delivery services.  A list of approved delivery services is available on  If you mail a return from outside the United States, the date of filing is the postmark date.  However, if you mail a payment, separately or with your return, your payment is not considered received until the date of actual receipt. 

Can I Electronically File My Return?

You can prepare and e-file your income tax return, in many cases for free.  Participating software companies make their products available through the IRS.  E-File options are listed on

What Forms May I Need?

-  1040, U.S Individual Income Tax Return

o   Instructions to Form 1040

o   1116, Foreign Tax Credit

o   2013 Instructions to Form 1116 – 2014 instructions will be available soon, please check on

2350, Application for Extension of Time to File U.S. Income Tax Return (for U.S. citizens and residents abroad)

o   2350 in Spanish

-  2555, Foreign Earned Income Exclusion

o   Instructions to Form 2555

-  2555-EZ, Foreign Earned Income Exclusion

o   Instructions to Form 2555-EZ

-  4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return

o   4868 in Spanish

-  8802, Application for United States Residency Certificate

o   Instructions to Form 8802

8938, Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets,

o   Instructions to Form 8938

14653, Certification by U.S. Person Residing Outside of the United States for Streamlined Foreign Offshore Procedures 

How Do I Pay My Taxes?

You must pay your taxes in U.S. dollars.

Direct pay.  You can pay online with a direct transfer from your U.S. bank account using Direct Pay, the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System, or by a U.S. debit or credit card.  You can also pay by phone using the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System or by a U.S. debit or credit card. 

Foreign wire transfers.  If you have a U.S. bank account, you can use the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System.  If you do not have a U.S. bank account, ask whether your financial institution has a U.S. affiliate that can help you make same-day wire transfers. 

Foreign electronic paymentsInternational taxpayers who do not have a U.S. bank account may transfer funds from their foreign bank account directly to the IRS for payment of their tax liabilities. 

Other Reporting?

You also may have to file FinCEN Form 114, Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR), by June 30, 2015.

Does the IRS Provide Help in Other Languages?

The IRS provides tax information in Chinese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, and Vietnamese.  Go to and use the drop down box under "Languages" on the upper right corner to select your language.

Where Can I Get Help?

Contact the International Taxpayer Service Call Center by phone or fax.  The International Call Center is open Monday through Friday, from 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. (Eastern Time).

Tel:  267-941-1000 (not toll-free)

Fax:  267-941-1055

You may also contact the IRS office in London, Paris, or Frankfurt.  For addresses and telephone numbers, contact my local office internationally.

I Received a Notice from the IRS – What Do I Do?

If you receive a notice from the IRS and need to contact the IRS, call the number listed on the notice or the International Taxpayer Service Call Center (see above).

Where Can I Get More Information?

For information on the IRS website about international taxpayers,see this page.

For general information about international taxpayers, see Publication 54, "Taxation of U.S. Citizens and Residents Abroad."

For information on the Affordable Care Act and taxpayers outside the United States, see Publication 5187, "Health Care Law."

I Haven't Filed All My Tax Returns – What Can I Do?

If you have not filed all the returns required of you and want to catch up on your filing obligations, see this announcement:  IRS makes changes to offshore-programs.


*              *              *

We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Estonia enroll in the Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) at  STEP enrollment gives you the latest security updates, and makes it easier for the U.S. embassy or nearest U.S. consulate to contact you in an emergency.  If you don't have Internet access, enroll directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

Regularly monitor the State Department's website, where you can find current Travel Warnings,Travel Alerts, and the Worldwide Caution.  Read the Country Specific Information for Estonia.  For additional information, refer to the "Traveler's Checklist" on the State Department's website.

Contact the U.S. Embassy for up-to-date information on travel restrictions.  You can also call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries.  These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).  Follow us onTwitter and Facebook.

The U.S. Embassy in Tallinn is located at Kentmanni20, Tallinn and is open from 8:30 am - 5:30 pm on regular business days, 372-668-8128.  If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance, the emergency number for the U.S. Embassy is 509-2129 (if calling from the United States, start by dialing 011-372-, and if calling from most other countries, begin by dialing 00-372-), or if there is not an answer please call +372-668-8169.  Inquiries about American citizen services provided by the Embassy's Consular Section may be directed to



Worldwide Caution Message

  • Worldwide Caution Message

Contact Information

  • Contact Information Consular Section
    U.S. Embassy
    Kentmanni 20
    15099 Tallinn
    Phone: 372-668-8128
    Fax: 372-668-8267

Federal Benefits and Federal Agency Services for American Citizens Abroad

  • Federal Benefits and Federal Agency Services for American Citizens Abroad