American Studies Resources
One of the key goals of the Public Affairs Office at the U.S. Embassy in Tallinn is to promote better understanding of the United States in all areas - culture, history, government, politics, institutions, and society. In coordination with the Department of State's International Information Programs (IIP) and other institutions, the Public Affairs section works with educators throughout Estonia to promote American studies in Estonian schools and universities and to facilitate study in the U.S.
Are you an educator whose subject matter includes American Studies or a teacher of English as a foreign language? Whether you are a university professor, primary or secondary school teacher, curriculum designer or textbook writer, we encourage you to contact the Public Affairs Office (at 668-8125) to discuss how we might help to enrich existing programs or develop new ones.
The Public Affairs Office maintains a small collection of American Studies and ESL materials (books and videos) available to teachers for classroom use, and can facilitate loans of classroom materials produced by the International Information Programs office. You can browse the list of ESL materials available at the Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs site. The Public Affairs Office also has several free publications, listed below, available in limited supply to people living in Estonia. If you are interested in these works, please send an e-mail to USAsaatkond@state.gov, or call 668-8125. Please note: you have to pick up the selected items at the Embassy, as we cannot send the books via mail.
Online American Studies and ESL Resources for Teachers and Students
American Studies Associations
Arts and Humanities in the United States
- Arts and Culture
- American Art: journal of the Smithsonian American Art Museum
- The Best of the Humanities on the Web from the National Endowment for the Humanities. "Online humanities resources from some of the world's great museums, libraries, cultural institutions, and universities..."
- Electronic Texts for the Study of American Culture
- "I Hear America Singing": Music, Theater and Dance Collections from the Library of Congress
- Library of Congress Performing Arts Reading Room
- Museums in the United States
English as Second Language
- The American Studies Crossroads Project
- InfoUSA: A compilation of materials for foreign audiences seeking information about American society, political processes, official U.S. policies and culture.
- Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs - Study of the U.S.
- U.S. Network for Education Information: An interagency and public/private partnership whose mission is to provide official information assistance for anyone seeking information about U.S. education and for U.S. citizens seeking authoritative information about education in other countries.
Government and Media Links
- Outline of U.S. government: An overview of the U.S. Constitution and the branches of government, provided by the States Department's International Information Programs.
- Media in the United States
- Department of State
Maryland-Baltic Educational Consortium
Privately-Funded Fellowships for Journalists
The Fund for American Studies
- Resources for Program Alumni
- EducationUSA: a guide to U.S. higher education for international students
Student Advising Centers
- Educational Advising and Testing Center in Tallinn
Tallinn Technical University
Ehitajate tee 5, Room III-211a
Phone: 620 3543 or 620 3546;
Fax: 620 3546;
- Educational Advising Center in Tartu
Tartu University Library, Struve 1-325
Phone: 737-5714;Fax: 737-5719
Public Affairs Section
Embassy of the United States of America
Kentmanni 20, 15099 Tallinn
Phone: (372) 668-8155
Fax: (372) 668-8253